Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Die Welt verstummt, dein Blut erklingt; in seinen hellen Abgrund sinkt der ferne Tag, er schaudert nicht; die Glut umschlingt das höchste Land, im Meere ringt die ferne Nacht, sie zaudert nicht; der Flut entspringt ein Sternchen, deine Seele trinkt das ewige Licht.
Confirmed with Weib und Welt. Gedichte von Richard Dehmel mit einem Sinnbild, Berlin: Verlag von Schuster u. Loeffler, 1896, page 25
- by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Am Ufer", appears in Weib und Welt, first published 1896 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Conrad Ramrath (1880 - 1972), "Am Ufer", op. 10 (Vier Lieder) no. 1, published 1910. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Richard Georg Strauss (1864 - 1949), "Am Ufer", op. 41 (Fünf Lieder) no. 3 (1899), published 1899 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Leuckart [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "Am Ufer", 1908, from Fünf Lieder, no. 2. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Al ribatge", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Aan de kust", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Joel Ayau) , "On the shore", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "At the shore", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Sur le rivage", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sulla spiaggia", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Oscar Aquite) , "En la orilla", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Jeroen Scholten , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 43
Si fa silenzioso il mondo, odo il sangue pulsare, nel suo fulgido abisso affonda lontano il giorno, senza un fremito; l'infuocato tramonto abbraccia anche le cime più alte, lottando con la notte lontana che dal mare avanza, Senza indugiare; sorge dai flutti una piccola stella e si disseta l'anima di luce eterna.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Am Ufer", appears in Weib und Welt, first published 1896
This text was added to the website: 2008-12-30
Line count: 9
Word count: 52