Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Dans un baiser, l'onde au rivage Dit ses douleurs: Pour consoler la fleur sauvage, L'aube a des pleurs; Le vent du soir conte sa plainte Aux vieux cyprès, La tourterelle au térébinthe Ses longs regrets. Aux flots dormants, quand tout repose, Hors la douleur, La lune parle, et dit la cause De sa pâleur. Ton dôme blanc, Sainte-Sophie, Parle au ciel bleu, Et, tout rêveur, le ciel confie Son rêve à Dieu. Arbre ou tombeau, colombe ou rose, Onde ou rocher, Tout, ici-bas, a quelque chose Pour s'épancher... Moi, je suis seul, et rien au monde Ne me répond, Rien que ta voix morne et profonde, Sombre Hellespont!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Pierre-Jules-Théophile Gautier (1811 - 1872), appears in Poésies diverses, poésies nouvelles et inédites, poésies posthumes, in Poésies diverses 1838-1845, first published 1845 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Louis (Ludwig) Benedictus (1850 - 1921), "Sombre Hellespont", published  [ medium voice and piano ], Paris, G. Hartmann [sung text not yet checked]
- by Louis-Charles-Bonaventure-Alfred Bruneau (1857 - 1934), "Dans un baiser, l'onde", published 1903 [ mezzo-soprano or baritone and piano ], from Huit mélodies de jeunesse (sur des poèmes de Pierre de Ronsard, C. Hugues, Jean Richepin, Paul Bourget, Paul-Armand Silvestre, R. Rousseil, Théophile Gautier, no. 7, Paris, Choudens [sung text not yet checked]
- by Félipe Comas , "Dans un baiser, l'onde au rivage", published 1900 [ high voice and piano ], from Quatre mélodies, no. 1, Paris, Hachette [sung text not yet checked]
- by Gabriel Fauré (1845 - 1924), "Seule!", op. 3 no. 1 (1871), published 1871 [ mezzo-soprano and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Serge Gut (b. 1927), "Seule", 1951 [ soprano and piano ], from Deux mélodies pour ténor ou soprano et piano, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Reynaldo Hahn (1874 - 1947), "Seule !", 1891, published 1892 [ low voice and piano ], from Mélodies - 1er volume, no. 6, Paris, Éd. Heugel [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Z. Jaume Saint-Hilaire, Mlle. , "La solitude", published 1862 [ voice and piano ], from Paroles en musique + 8 Mélodies et chansons, no. 4, Paris, E. Saint-Hilaire [sung text not yet checked]
- by Léon Charles François Kreutzer (1817 - 1868), "Mélancolie", published 1847 [ medium voice and piano ], from 26 mélodies pour chant et piano, no. 13, Paris, Richault [sung text not yet checked]
- by Martin Lunssens (1871 - 1944), "Seule!" [ contralto or mezzo-soprano and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Martin Lunssens (1871 - 1944), "Seule !", 1923 [ contralto or mezzo-soprano and piano or orchestra ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Patrice Oliva (b. 1974), "Seule" [ soprano and orchestra ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Jules Philipot (1824 - 1897), "Le soir", subtitle: "Nocturne", op. 131, published 1874 [ vocal duet with piano ], from Poèmes et Chants, Poésies de Théophile Gautier, no. 12, Paris, L. Grus [sung text not yet checked]
- by Antoine Taudou (1846 - 1925), "Seule", published 1873 [ soprano and piano ], in Le monde musical - recueil de musique moderne : volume 1 - le chant, p. 84, Ed. Paris, Enoch [sung text not yet checked]
- by Achille Tramezzani , "Rêverie", published 1875 [ high voice and piano ], Bruxelles, J. B. Katto [sung text not yet checked]
Set in a modified version by Félicien César David, Klaus Miehling.
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , no title, copyright © 2016
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ramona Gabriela Peter) , "Solo!", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 24
Word count: 108
In one kiss, the wave speaks its grief to the shore: To console the wild flower the dawn has tears; The evening breeze describes its grievances To the ancient cypress trees, The turtle-dove [voices] to the terebinth Its many regrets. To the dormant waves, when all is quiet, Without pain, The moon speaks, and explains the reason For its pallor. Your white dome, Saint Sophia, Speaks to the blue sky, And, ever dreaming, the sky confides Its dream to God. Tree or tomb, dove or rose, Wave or rock, Everything here below, has something To pour forth... But me, I am alone, and nothing on earth Ever responds to me; Nothing but your doleful and intense voice, Gloomy Hellespont!
About the headline (FAQ)Translation of title "Seule" = "Alone"
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2016 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in French (Français) by Pierre-Jules-Théophile Gautier (1811 - 1872), appears in Poésies diverses, poésies nouvelles et inédites, poésies posthumes, in Poésies diverses 1838-1845, first published 1845
This text was added to the website: 2016-09-29
Line count: 24
Word count: 119