Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Schläft ein Lied in allen Dingen, Die da träumen fort und fort. Und die Welt hebt an zu singen, Triffst du nur das Zauberwort.
About the headline (FAQ)
Confirmed with Joseph Freiherrn von Eichendorff's sämmtliche Werke. Zweite Auflage. Erster Band. Leipzig, Voigt & Günther. 1864, page 319.
- by Joseph Karl Benedikt, Freiherr von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 2. Sängerleben, in Sprüche, no. 7 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wolfgang Fortner (1907 - 1987), "Schläft ein Lied in allen Dingen", alternate title: "Schläft ein Lied in allen Dingen" [ mixed chorus ], from Sprüche von Joseph von Eichendorff, no. 7 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Wolfgang Fortner (1907 - 1987), "Wünschelrute", 1970/80 [ voice and piano ], from Lieder aus dem Nachlass, no. 9, Schott Music [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hermann Große-Schware (b. 1931), "Wünschelrute" [ chorus ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Ferdinand von Hiller (1811 - 1885), "Wünschelruthe", op. 165 (Acht Gesänge für S., A., T. und B. ohne Begleitung) no. 5, published 1874 [ SATB chorus a cappella ], Leipzig, Siegel [sung text not yet checked]
- by Thomas Schubert (b. 1961), "Wünschelrute" [ medium voice and piano ], from Schläft ein Lied in allen Dingen : Drei Eichendorff-Lieder für mittlere Stimme und Klavier, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Rudi Spring (b. 1962), "Wünschelrute", op. 92 no. 7 (2013) [ baritone and piano ], from Wünschelrute. Liederzyklus für Bariton und Klavier , no. 7 [sung text not yet checked]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Rudi Spring (b. 1962), "Wunderspiegel", op. 92a (2014), first performed 2014 [ mezzosoprano, horn and piano ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Bertram Kottmann , "Incantation", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission ; composed by Gary Bachlund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Walter A. Aue) , "Magic wand", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Dorme in ogni cosa un canto", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Linda Godry
This text was added to the website: 2008-06-04
Line count: 4
Word count: 24
Sleeps a song in things abounding that keep dreaming to be heard: Earth'es tunes will start resounding if you find the magic word.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Walter A. Aue, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Walter A. Aue.  Contact: waue (AT) dal (DOT) caIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Joseph Karl Benedikt, Freiherr von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), no title, appears in Gedichte, in 2. Sängerleben, in Sprüche, no. 7
This text was added to the website: 2010-03-26
Line count: 4
Word count: 23