Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
床前明月光， 疑是地上霜。 举头望明月， 低头思故乡。
- by Li-Tai-Po (701 - 762), "静夜思" [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Hans Bethge (1876 - 1946) , appears in Die chinesische Flöte [an adaptation] ; composed by Gottfried von Einem, Ernst Křenek, Léonard Pieter Joseph Michielsen, James Simon, Anton von Webern.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Jasmine Wiese) , "Thoughts on a Quiet Night", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Fan Yang
Text added to the website: 2008-07-29 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-08-11 10:18:04
Line count: 4
Word count: 4
At the foot of my bed, moonlight, Or maybe frost on the ground. [I] raise my head to the bright moon, I bow my head, homesick.
Line 4: Literally: thinking of my hometown
- Translation from Chinese (中文) to English copyright © 2020 by Jasmine Wiese, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2020-01-07 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-07 16:13:09
Line count: 4
Word count: 26