Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Schlaf! süßer Schlaf! obwohl dem Tod wie du nichts gleicht, auf diesem Lager doch willkommen heiß' ich dich! Denn ohne Leben so, wie lieblich lebt es sich! So weit vom Sterben, ach, wie stirbt es sich so leicht!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "An den Schlaf" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hanns Eisler (1898 - 1962), "An den Schlaf", 1942, from Sonette Lieder, no. 9. [text verified 1 time]
- by Joseph Kaufer (1909 - 1990), "An den Schlaf", published 1951 [voice and piano], from Dover Beach and Other Songs, no. 14, Waukegan, Illinois: Lyric-Art, also set in English [text verified 1 time]
- by (Karl) Emil Kauffmann (1836 - 1909), "An den Schlaf", op. 11 (Vier Lieder) no. 3, published 1868 [low voice and piano], Stuttgart, Zumsteeg [text not verified]
- by Roger Matscheizik (b. 1960), "Somne levis", 1996-2002 [baritone or mezzo-soprano and organ], from Denk es, o Seele!, no. 2. [text not verified]
- by Fritz Schieri (b. 1922), "An den Schlaf", 1993. [voice and piano] [text not verified]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "An den Schlaf", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 29. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "To Sleep", copyright ©
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Sonno mio dolce!", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Au sommeil", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , title 1: "Au sommeil", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 38
Sonno mio dolce! Anche se nulla più di te alla morte somiglia, felice ti accolgo in questo giaciglio! Perché senza vivere, vivere è dolce! E senza morire, è più lieve la morte!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2011 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2011-03-01
Line count: 4
Word count: 32