Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Schlaf! süßer Schlaf! obwohl dem Tod wie du nichts gleicht, auf diesem Lager doch willkommen heiß' ich dich! Denn ohne Leben so, wie lieblich lebt es sich! So weit vom Sterben, ach, wie stirbt es sich so leicht!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875), "An den Schlaf" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Matti Borg (b. 1956), "An den Schlaf", 1997-1998, published 1998 [ mixed chorus a cappella ], from 12 Gedichte von Mörike, no. 11 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hanns Eisler (1898 - 1962), "An den Schlaf", 1942, from Sonette Lieder, no. 9 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Joseph Kaufer (1909 - 1990), "An den Schlaf", published 1951 [ voice and piano ], from Dover Beach and Other Songs, no. 14, Waukegan, Illinois: Lyric-Art, also set in English [sung text checked 1 time]
- by (Karl) Emil Kauffmann (1836 - 1909), "An den Schlaf", op. 11 (Vier Lieder) no. 3, published 1868 [ low voice and piano ], Stuttgart, Zumsteeg [sung text not yet checked]
- by Roger Matscheizik (b. 1960), "Somne levis", 1996-2002 [ baritone or mezzo-soprano and organ ], from Denk es, o Seele!, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Fritz Franz Schieri (1922 - 2009), "An den Schlaf", 1993 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "An den Schlaf", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 29 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "To Sleep", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Au sommeil", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Au sommeil", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Sonno mio dolce!", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 38
Sommeil ! Doux sommeil ! Bien que rien ne te ressemble à part la mort, Sur ce lit, soit le bienvenu ! Car sans la vie, comme il est agréable de vivre ! Si loin de la mort, ah, comme il est facile de mourir !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2011-11-30
Line count: 4
Word count: 46