Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Feiger Gedanken bängliches Schwanken, weibisches Zagen, ängstliches Klagen wendet kein Elend, macht dich nicht frei. Allen Gewalten zum Trutz sich erhalten, nimmer sich beugen, kräftig sich zeigen, rufet die Arme der Götter herbei!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Beherzigung" [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Kein Elend", 1990 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Beherzigung", op. 93a (Sechs Lieder und Romanzen für vierstimmigen gemischten Chor) no. 6 (1883?), published 1884 [ SATB chorus a cappella ], Berlin, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Paul Geilsdorf (1890 - 1976), "Beherzigung", op. 69 no. 3 [ TTBB quartet a cappella ], from Sprüche des Lebens, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Cor (Cornelius Wilhelm) de Groot (b. 1914), "Beherzigung", published 194-?, from 7 Goethe Lieder, no. 7 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Otto Klemperer (1885 - 1973), "Beherzigung" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Beherzigung", alternate title: "Aus Lila", published 1809 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Bernard Reichel (1901 - 1992), "Feiger Gedanken", published 198-? [ voice and piano ], from Lieder-Gedichte von Goethe, no. 8, Monthey : Cantate Domino [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hans August Friedrich Zincke genannt Sommer (1837 - 1922), "Beherzigung II", 1920 [ voice and orchestra ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Ernest Vietor (flourished 1905-1930), "Feiger Gedanken bängliches Schwanken", op. 10 no. 3 (1933) [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hermann Hans Wetzler (1870 - 1943), "Beherzigung", 1907 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Beherzigung", published 1888 [ voice and piano ], from Sechs Gedichte von Scheffel, Mörike, Goethe and Kerner, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alexander Zemlinsky (1871 - 1942), "Feiger Gedanken bängliches Schwanken", op. 22 (Sechs Lieder) no. 3 (1934), published c1977 [ soprano and piano ], Hillsdale, N. Y. : Mobart Music Publications [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Cowardly thoughts, timid shaking", copyright ©
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "No misery", copyright © 1990, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Résolution", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Da tenere a mente", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 33
Pensieri vili, esitare ansioso, timidezze di donna, angosciosi lamenti non allontanano i guai, né ti rendono libero. La resistenza a ogni forza contraria; Senza piegarsi mostrandosi forti, evoca il soccorso della Divinità.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2011 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Beherzigung"
This text was added to the website: 2011-03-06
Line count: 12
Word count: 32