Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Geht ein grauer Mann Durch den stillen Wald, Singt ein graues Lied. Die [Vöglein]1 schweigen alsbald. Die Fichten ragen so stumm und schwül Mit ihrem schweren Astgewühl. In fernen Tiefen Vergrollt ein Ton. --
1 Stöhr: "Vögel"
- by Johannes Schlaf (1862 - 1941), "Regen" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Regen", 1906 [ voice and piano ], from Jugendlieder, Vol. II (1904-08), no. 53 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Paul Juon (1872 - 1940), "Regen", op. 21 (Drei Lieder) no. 1 (1907) [ medium voice and piano ], Robert Lienau Verlag [sung text not yet checked]
- by Richard Stöhr (1874 - 1967), "Regen", op. 11 (5 Lieder) no. 3 [ voice and piano ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Margarete Voigt-Schweikert (1887 - 1957), "Regen", op. 3 (Sechs Lieder) no. 5 (1910), published 1912 [ voice and piano ], München: Wunderhorn-Verlag [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Erich Zeisl (1905 - 1959), "Regen", 1931 [ soprano and piano ], unpublished [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Michael P Rosewall) , "Rain", copyright © 2023, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Pluie", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Jakob Kellner
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 33
Un homme gris avance À travers la forêt silencieuse, Il chante un chant gris. Les petits oiseaux se taisent aussitôt. Les sapins se dressent si silencieux et oppressants Avec leurs foules de lourdes branches. Dans les profondeurs Lointaines retentit un son.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johannes Schlaf (1862 - 1941), "Regen"
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-03
Line count: 8
Word count: 41