Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Не пенится море, не плещет волна, деревья листами не двинут; на глади прозрачной царит тишина, как в зеркале, мир опрокинут. Сижу я на камне; висят облака, недвижные в синем просторе; душа безмятежна, душа глубока, сродни ей спокойное море.
About the headline (FAQ)Note on Transliterations
- by Aleksei Konstantinovich Tolstoy, Count (1817 - 1875) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Mily Alexeyevich Balakirev (1837 - 1910), "Не пенится море", 1895 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by César Antonovich Cui (1835 - 1918), "Не пенится море", op. 55 (Восемь романсов = Vosem' romansov (Eight romances)) no. 4, published 1897 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Belaieff [sung text not yet checked]
- by Vasily Pavlovich Kalafati (1869 - 1942), "Не пенится море", op. 1 (Chetyre romansa) no. 1, published <<1895 [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Nikolai Andreyevich Rimsky-Korsakov (1844 - 1908), "Не пенится море, не плещет волна", op. 46 no. 2 (1897), from У моря (U morja), no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Anton Yulyevich Simon (1850 - 1916), "Не пенится море", op. 43 (Десять романсов) no. 4, published 1891 [ voice and piano ], Moscow: P. Jurgenson [sung text not yet checked]
- by Nikolay Nikolayevich Sokolovsky (1865 - 1921), "Не пенится море" [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Nikolay Feopemptovich Solovyov (1846 - 1916), "Море" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Aleksandr Sergeyevich Taneyev (1850 - 1918), "Не пенится море", op. 18 (Три романса) no. 2, published 1901 [ high voice and piano ], СПб. и др. : Zimmermann [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sergey Rybin) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
The sea doesn't spume, the wave doesn't splash, The leaves don't move on the trees, Upon the translucent surface reigns silence, The world is turned upside down as if in a mirror. I sit on a stone, the clouds Hang motionless in the blue vastness; My soul is serene and profound Akin to the tranquil sea.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2017 by Sergey Rybin, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Russian (Русский) by Aleksei Konstantinovich Tolstoy, Count (1817 - 1875)
This text was added to the website: 2017-01-14
Line count: 8
Word count: 56