Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Deinem Blick mich zu bequemen, Deinem Munde, deiner Brust, Deine Stimme zu vernehmen War die letzt' und erste Lust. Gestern, ach, war sie die letzte, Dann verlosch mir Leucht und Feuer, Jeder Scherz der mich ergetzte, Wird nun schuldenschwer und teuer. Eh' es Allah nicht gefällt, Uns [aufs neue]1 zu vereinen, Gibt mir Sonne, Mond und Welt Nur Gelegenheit zum Weinen.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
1 omitted by Schoenberg.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hans Huber (1852 - 1921), "Deinem Blick mich zu bequemen", op. 69 no. 8, published 1883 [SATB quartet and piano four-hands], from Aus Goethe's west-östlichem Divan. Zehn Quartette für S., A., T. und B. mit vierhändiger Pianofortebegleitung, no. 8, Leipzig, Kistner [ sung text not verified ]
- by Paul Klengel , "Deinem Blick mich zu bequemen", op. 13 (Drei Lieder für Alt mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 2, published 1894 [alto and piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [ sung text not verified ]
- by Fanny Mendelssohn-Hensel (1805 - 1847), "Deinem Blick mich zu bequemen" [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Suleika", op. 19b no. 3 (1915) [voice and piano], from Lieder aus dem Westöstlichen Diwan von Goethe, no. 3. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Arnold Franz Walter Schoenberg (1874 - 1951), "Deinem Blick mich zu bequemen", 1894-1903, from 7 frühe Lieder, no. 7. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Michael P. Rosewall) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 61
That your gaze might incline to me, That your mouth, your breast and your voice I might sense. Was my last, and my first desire. Yesterday, alas, was her last; then were my light and fire extinguished. Every pleasantness that once delighted Is now grievous and oppressive. If it does not please Allah to unite us, The sun, moon and earth only give me occasion to weep.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Michael P. Rosewall, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, written 1815, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 8. Buch Suleika -- Suleika Nameh
This text was added to the website: 2011-01-07
Line count: 12
Word count: 67