Sanctus, sanctus, sanctus, Domine Deus Sabaoth. Pleni sunt coeli et terra gloria tua. [Hosanna in excelsis!]1
1 omitted by Howells.
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , "Sanctus" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Giovanni Gabrieli (1558 - 1613), "Sanctus" [ chorus ] [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Frank Martin (1890 - 1974), "Sanctus" [ double chorus ], from cantata Mass for double choir, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756 - 1791), "Sanctus", K. 427 no. 4, from mass Große Messe in c-Moll, no. 4 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Sanctus", op. posth. 113 no. 3, D 696 no. 3 (1820), published 1829 [ satb chorus a cappella ], from Sechs Antiphonen zur Palmweihe am Palmsonntag, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
This text (or a part of it) is used in a work
- by Herbert Norman Howells (1892 - 1983), "Sanctus - I will lift up mine eyes", 1936-8, published 1951, first performed 1950 [ soprano, tenor, mixed chorus, and orchestra ], from Hymnus Paradisi, no. 4
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Sanctus / Benedictus", from oratorio Missa Brevis in D, no. 3
- by (Edward) Benjamin Britten (1913 - 1976), "Sanctus", op. 66 no. 4, published 1961 [ soprano, tenor, baritone, satb chorus, boys' chorus, orchestra, chamber orchestra, organ ], from War Requiem, no. 4
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lau Kanen) , "Heilig, heilig, heilig"
- ENG English (Laura Prichard) , "Holy", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Sanctus", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-25
Line count: 4
Word count: 16
Heilig, heilig, heilig, De Heer, de God der hemelse machten. Vol zijn hemel en aarde van uw heerlijkheid1.
1 Schubert voegt hieraan toe: "Hosanna in den hoge!", de zin die in de rooms-katholieke misliturgie gebruikelijk is.
- Translation from Latin to Dutch (Nederlands) by Lau Kanen
This text was added to the website: 2012-02-15
Line count: 3
Word count: 18