Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Der Hirt blast seine Weise, Von fern ein Schuß noch fällt, Die Wälder rauschen leise Und Ströme tief im Feld. Nur hinter jenem Hügel Noch spielt der Abendschein - O hätt ich, hätt ich Flügel, Zu fliegen da hinein!
Confirmed with Joseph Freiherrn von Eichendorff, Gedichte, Berlin, Verlag von M. Simion, 1841, page 220.
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Abendlandschaft", appears in Gedichte, in 4. Frühling und Liebe [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Stephan Baekers , "Abendlandschaft", 1979, from Fünf Eichendorff-Lieder, no. 4. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Humbert Geyer (b. 1948), "Abendlandschaft" [medium voice and piano], from Fünf Lieder, no. 5. [ sung text not verified ]
- by Arno Kleffel (1840 - 1913), "Abendlandschaft", op. 12 no. 9, published 1869 [voice and piano], from Lenz und Liebe. Eine Liederreihe, no. 9, Leipzig, Breitkopf und Härtel [ sung text not verified ]
- by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897 - 1957), "Abendlandschaft", op. 5 no. 4 (1911) [voice and piano], from Zwölf Lieder: So Gott und Papa will, no. 4. [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Eduard Lassen (1830 - 1904), "Abendlandschaft", published 1869 [voice and piano], from Sechs Lieder, no. 4, Breslau, Hainauer [ sung text not verified ]
- by Ernst (Friedrich Karl) Rudorff (1840 - 1916), "Abendlandschaft", op. 3 (Sechs Gedichte von J. von Eichendorff) no. 3, published 1864 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Senff [ sung text not verified ]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Abendlandschaft", op. 20 no. 10 (1914) [voice and piano], from Lieder nach Gedichten von Uhland und Eichendorff, no. 10. [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Evening landscape", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Paysage vespéral", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-03-06 21:46:16
Line count: 8
Word count: 39
The shepherd pipes his lay, In the distance a shot still rings out, The forests sough quietly And the streams, deep in the fields. Only behind that hill The evening light still plays- Oh had I, had I wings To fly into [the evening light] there!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2013 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Abendlandschaft", appears in Gedichte, in 4. Frühling und Liebe
Text added to the website: 2013-07-31 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:17
Line count: 8
Word count: 46