Oscuro è il ciel; Nell'onde la luna già s'asconde E in seno al mar le Plejadi Già discendendo van. È mezzanotte, E l'ora passa frattanto, E sola qui sulle piume Ancora veglio ed attendo in van.
- by Giàcomo Leopardi (1798 - 1837) [an adaptation] [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ildebrando Pizzetti (1880 - 1968), "Oscuro è il ciel", from Due canti d'amore, no. 2 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, adapted by Henry Thornton Wharton (1846 - 1895) , no title FRE FRE GER GER GER ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ENG GER GER GER ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Charles Chaynes.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Walter Jens (b. 1923) , copyright © [an adaptation] ENG FRE FRE ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Aribert Reimann.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Johann Gottfried Herder (1744 - 1803) , no title, appears in Stimmen der Völker in Liedern, in 2. Das zweite Buch. Lieder aus dem Süd, in 5. Fragmente griechischer Lieder. Sappho, no. 2 ENG FRE FRE ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Mathilde von Kralik.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Rudolf Bach (1901 - 1957) , copyright © ENG ENG FRE FRE ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Hermann Reutter.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) , copyright © [an adaptation] ENG FRE FRE GER GER GER RUS SWE ; composed by Goffredo Petrassi.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Vyacheslav Ivanovich Ivanov (1866 - 1949) , "Ожидание", appears in Сапфо и Алкей (Sapfo i Alkej) ENG FRE FRE GER GER GER ITA ITA SWE ; composed by Arthur Vincent Lourié.
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Gustaf Emil Zilliacus (1878 - 1961) , copyright © ENG FRE FRE GER GER GER ITA ITA RUS ; composed by Staffan Björklund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Juan Henríquez Concepción) , "Oscuro está el cielo", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 36