Δέδυκε μὲν ἀ σελάννα καὶ Πληίαδες· μέσσαι δὲ νύκτες, πάρα δʹ ἔρχετʹ ὤρα· ἔγω δὲ μόνα κατεύδω
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Sappho (flourished c610-c580 BCE), no title [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wilhelm Killmayer (1927 - 2017), "Dedyke men a salanna", 1993-5, first performed 1995 [ mezzo-soprano and piano ], from Sieben Lieder der Sappho, no. 6, Mainz, Schott [sung text not yet checked]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Henry Thornton Wharton (1846 - 1895) , no title ; composed by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir.
- Also set in English, a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ; composed by Ned Rorem.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ; composed by Charles Chaynes.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Walter Jens (b. 1923) , copyright © [an adaptation] ; composed by Aribert Reimann.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Johann Gottfried Herder (1744 - 1803) , no title, appears in Stimmen der Völker in Liedern, in 2. Das zweite Buch. Lieder aus dem Süd, in 5. Fragmente griechischer Lieder. Sappho, no. 2 ; composed by Mathilde von Kralik.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Rudolf Bach (1901 - 1957) ; composed by Hermann Reutter.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Giàcomo Leopardi (1798 - 1837) [an adaptation] ; composed by Ildebrando Pizzetti.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) , copyright © [an adaptation] ; composed by Goffredo Petrassi.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Vyacheslav Ivanovich Ivanov (1866 - 1949) , "Ожидание", appears in Сапфо и Алкей (Sapfo i Alkej) ; composed by Arthur Vincent Lourié.
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Gustaf Emil Zilliacus (1878 - 1961) , copyright © ; composed by Staffan Björklund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Henry Thornton Wharton) , no title
- FRE French (Français) (Ernest Falconnet)
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Salvatore Quasimodo) , copyright © [an adaptation]
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2007-11-29
Line count: 4
Word count: 17