Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Oscuro è il ciel; Nell'onde la luna già s'asconde E in seno al mar le Plejadi Già discendendo van. È mezzanotte, E l'ora passa frattanto, E sola qui sulle piume Ancora veglio ed attendo in van.
- by Giàcomo Leopardi (1798 - 1837) [an adaptation] [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ildebrando Pizzetti (1880 - 1968), "Oscuro è il ciel", from Due canti d'amore, no. 2 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, adapted by Henry Thornton Wharton (1846 - 1895) , no title FRE FRE GER GER GER ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Anonymous/Unidentified Artist ENG GER GER GER ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Charles Chaynes.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Walter Jens (b. 1923) , copyright © [an adaptation] ENG FRE FRE ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Aribert Reimann.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Johann Gottfried Herder (1744 - 1803) , no title, appears in Stimmen der Völker in Liedern, in 2. Das zweite Buch. Lieder aus dem Süd, in 5. Fragmente griechischer Lieder. Sappho, no. 2 ENG FRE FRE ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Mathilde von Kralik.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Rudolf Bach (1901 - 1957) , copyright © ENG ENG FRE FRE ITA ITA RUS SWE ; composed by Hermann Reutter.
- Also set in Italian (Italiano), a translation by Salvatore Quasimodo (1901 - 1968) , copyright © [an adaptation] ENG FRE FRE GER GER GER RUS SWE ; composed by Goffredo Petrassi.
- Also set in Russian (Русский), a translation by Vyacheslav Ivanovich Ivanov (1866 - 1949) , "Ожидание", appears in Сапфо и Алкей (Sapfo i Alkej) ENG FRE FRE GER GER GER ITA ITA SWE ; composed by Arthur Vincent Lourié.
- Also set in Swedish (Svenska), a translation by Gustaf Emil Zilliacus (1878 - 1961) , copyright © ENG FRE FRE GER GER GER ITA ITA RUS ; composed by Staffan Björklund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Juan Henríquez Concepción) , "Oscuro está el cielo", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 36
Oscuro está el cielo: en las olas la luna se esconde, y en el seno del mar las Pléyades van descendiendo. Es medianoche, y la hora pasa mientras tanto, y sola aquí sobre el lecho de plumas las veo y espero en vano.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to Spanish (Español) copyright © 2010 by Juan Henríquez Concepción, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Juan Henríquez Concepción. We have no current contact information for the copyright-holder.
If you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
This text was added to the website: 2010-06-01
Line count: 8
Word count: 43