Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Weisst du, ich will mich schleichen leise aus lautem Kreis, wenn ich erst die bleichen Sterne über den Eichen blühen weiß. Wege will ich erkiesen, die selten wer betritt in blassen Abendwiesen - und keinen Traum, als diesen: Du gehst mit.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Rainer Maria Rilke (1875 - 1926), "Weisst du, ich will mich schleichen", appears in Advent [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by József Soproni (b. 1930), "Weisst du" [ soprano and piano ], from Nyolc dal R. M. Rilke verseire = Eight Songs to Poems by R. M. Rilke, no. 3 [sung text not yet checked]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Margaret Dows Herter Norton Crena de Iongh, née Herter (1894 - 1985) , appears in Translations from the Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke, first published 1938, copyright © 1966 ; composed by Libby Larsen.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Bertram Kottmann) , "Advent", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2007-12-13
Line count: 10
Word count: 41
You know I'd like to sidle out of the circle loud, once I know the pallid stars above the oak-trees all abloom. Paths will I be choosing that seldom any tread in palish ev'ning meadows? and no dream else but dreaming: you join in.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Rainer Maria Rilke (1875 - 1926), "Weisst du, ich will mich schleichen", appears in Advent
This text was added to the website: 2010-12-02
Line count: 10
Word count: 44