Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Uraltes Wehn vom Meer, Meerwind bei Nacht: du kommst zu keinem her; wenn einer wacht, so muß er sehn, wie er dich übersteht: uraltes Wehn vom Meer, welches weht [nur wie]1 für Ur-Gestein, lauter Raum reißend [von]2 weit herein . . . O wie fühlt dich ein treibender Feigenbaum oben im Mondschein.
Confirmed with Rainer Maria Rilke, Die Gedichte, Frankfurt am Main: Insel Verlag, 1997, pages 546-547.1 Jarnach: "wie nur"
2 Apostel, Paulsen: "wie"
- by Rainer Maria Rilke (1875 - 1926), "Lied vom Meer", subtitle: "Capri. Piccola Marina", appears in Der neuen Gedichte anderer Teil [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Hans Erich Apostel (1901 - 1972), "Lied vom Meer", subtitle: "(Capri, piccola marina)", op. 6 no. 3, published 1937 [voice and piano], Wien: Universal-Edition, Nr. 10917 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Philipp Jarnach (1892 - 1982), "Lied vom Meer", op. 15 no. 1 [voice and piano], from Fünf Gesänge, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Helmut Paulsen (b. 1909), "Lied vom Meer" [medium voice and piano], from Sieben besinnliche Lieder, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Henri Zagwijn (1878 - 1954), "Lied vom Meer", 1948, from Drei Lieder, no. 3. [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Song of the Sea", subtitle: "Capri. Piccola Marina", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator] , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 14
Word count: 52
Ancient wafting from the sea, sea-wind at night: you come to no one; when someone keeps watch, he must see to it that he survives you: ancient wafting from the sea, which blows only as if for ancient rocks, tearing hence pure expanses [from]1 afar. . . O how a budding fig tree feels you above in the moonlight.
Subtitle: "Capri. Piccola Marina"View original text (without footnotes)
1 Apostel, Paulsen: "as if from"
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2018 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Rainer Maria Rilke (1875 - 1926), "Lied vom Meer", subtitle: "Capri. Piccola Marina", appears in Der neuen Gedichte anderer Teil
This text was added to the website: 2018-11-09
Line count: 14
Word count: 59